Monday, February 25, 2013

Wonders of the World - 6

There's no denying it at this point -- there are just too many wonders in the world to try to limit the number to 7.  The wonders of the world  -- regardless of who is making the determinations-- are beyond the single digits and perhaps it is limitless.  I feel a sense of relief in coming to terms with my conclusion.  The world must have been ancient and narrow when seven places were determined.  My world is neither small or limited and it delights me that I am going to spend the rest of my life seeing and experience wonders and even then, I will not see them all. 

A maple tree in my front yard tapped and receiving sap.
When I was a child and would do something that surprised my parents -- for example, I might complete a chore without being asked (it might have happened) -- there was a standard reply from my mom.  Her comment was, "Will wonders never cease?," meaning "Wow, I can't believe it."  I've been working on Karen's Wonders of the World for a couple of weeks now and I can say with confidence :  Wonders will never cease!

Number six on my list is a variety pack of natural, scientifically explainable, magical moments in nature.  Do you remember contemplating the origin of clouds when you were a child? Many of us assumed those fluffy puffs came from a smoke stack.  Teachers along the way have given me the academic explanation of clouds, rainbows, and so much more. I'm sure the information was spot on, but for the most part -- it really doesn't matter.  The explanation doesn't diminish the wonder.

Other items in this same category would include how sap from the maple tree drips noisily into pails  and the concentrated syrup resulting from it, the look of petosky stones once they've been polished for all the world to see the beautiful patterns, the metamorphosis of an unattractive caterpillar to a drop dead gorgeous butterfly, the mystical angles of an amethyst geode, or even the ability of a chicken to daily create a rounded object within itself and eject it daily, the soothing hum of a contented llama and the ability of a robin to create a nest, salmon swimming upstream, an insect looking like a stick.   Nature is filled with wonder in every direction we look. 

Amethyst

This quest began with my gazing into the Grand Canyon and that geological wonder would find itself on this long list of naturally occurring wonders.  I can't stop naming them . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment