Monday, February 11, 2013

Wonder of the World - 4

Truffle, my miniature schnauzer wonder of the world
I'm an animal lover.  I'm crazy about dogs.  In fact, I can't remember a time when I wasn't enamored with all canines. 

I've had all sorts of animals as pets -- it started simply enough as a small child as a puppy beagle (Snoopy) and I tumbled and grew up together.  Then I had an assortment of rabbits and fish.  Finally Mom gave in to Dad and I and we brought home my little brother -- an all black Cocker Spaniel named Mr.  I cried on him, played endlessly with him, he got me through high school and more, Mr. was a wonderful dog.

As an adult, I've had llamas, goats, chickens, more dogs, fish, turtles, cats, rabbits, and perhaps another here and there.  Some are just pets that I enjoy, but others I've had incredible and rather uncanny relationships with.

In some traditions animals are understood to bring or represent certain divine powers.  There are those who believe that a relationship with a chosen animal provides a powerful connection to a source greater than one without said animal or pet.

 I'm blessed to say they I have experienced that holy connection on several occasions.  I'm not particularly a cat person, but I had an almost human relationship with a mama barn cat in the past.  She would nap with me and a chicken outside on the hammock, and she even told me where to find an injured animal.  She and I had a relationship that filled me with wonder.

There are so many animals that delight me.  Giraffes are a particular favorite, as I love feeding them and having that 18 inch black tongue wrap around my hand in search of a biscuit.  Dolphins are common favorites and I had a chance to swim with them and be mesmerized by their beauty.  I adored the baby goats who made their nursery on our back porch--they made me giggle as they sprang straight up in the air.  Animals are a gift to amaze us.  Animals are to be treasured and respected.

My two year old miniature schnauzer,  Truffle is that animal with whom I have a strong bond presently.  She and I spend every day together.  It amazes me how loving and loyal she is, how patient and tolerant she is.  Some day I should try to count how many times she makes me smile and laugh.  Truffle provides me with a sense of calm in the midst of each day.  If she isn't within reach, I stopped what I'm doing and search for her.

My fourth Wonder of the World is the relationship we are privileged to have with the four legged beings surrounding us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment