Monday, February 4, 2013

A Wonder of the World

A view of magnificent proportions
 It is listed as one of the Seven Wonders of the World -- now I know why!  The Grand Canyon in Arizona is truly amazing.

With two cameras around my neck, sensible shoes on my feet and my mouth open with unabashed awe -- I wasn't ashamed if I look like the tourist that I was.

My husband and I took a week to visit his daughter and family in Arizona -- a great time with our grand daughters -- Alexis and Megan.  For this visit I was determined to set my eyes on this place that is to not be missed in one's life time.

I did find myself wishing that I'd paid more attention to Professor Corliss in Geology 101 as it would have informed my understanding of the ancient history that was unfolded, layer by layer before my eyes.

After a couple of vantage points, I'd taken in all that I could

Dave and I with the Canyon in the background/
and we set out to meander through some souvenir shops -- the tackier the better. We weren't even to the truck before I began drafting my own list of wonders.  Who made up these lists, anyway?  The Seven Wonders of the World -- The Seven Geological Wonders of the World -- The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.   
I am grateful to say that I have seen another wonder or two -- I've stood in awe on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, I became separated from my husband and a bit lost for a while when I saw the Parthenon on the Acropolis of Ancient Greece and I've stood before the massive pool that reflects the exotic Taj Mahal in India.  These were all experiences that literally took my breath away (especially the getting lost part).
 
But as I continued to ponder what I would place on my list of seven wonders, I'm not sure I would list those wonderful destinations.  In the next few days, I'd like to share with you the wonders that made my list.  I hope you will be inspired by The Seven Wonders of Karen's Corner of the World.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment