Saturday, February 9, 2013

My Wonders of the World -- Number 3

Dad and Mom, Dick and Marylin Knight during the year of my birth. 
 Mom and I were on the phone and I was attempting to describe the love I have for my children. I was overwhelmed by the depth of love,  my heart was so full, it was brimming over.  As is often the case, we are at a loss for adequate words when it comes to the subject of love.  This moment was intense with emotion and I fumbling for the right words.  I wanted my message to be heard and understood.

The was a silence on the other end of the line.

"Honey," Mom began gently. "Do you realize that's how much I love you?'

There was another silence. I didn't know what to say.


My Mom full of life and love.

What an epiphany.  I knew my parents loved me -- blah, blah, blah -- they have to say that.  They are required to love me.  Somewhere during adolescence and early adulthood I'd lost touch with that connection between parent and child with me still in the child role.  Even though I was a parent, I was still a daughter.

I was completing lost in the love I had for my children -- I was confident in that love -- I would give my life for theirs without an hesitation.

For the first time, I was realizing that someone had that same love for me.  Wow.  It was a wonder -- a great wonder to behold.  It was a wonder that I had walked right into the middle of and had never opened my eyes to see it.  Now that my eyes were opened, I couldn't believe I had missed it for so long.

"Oh ... wow," was about all I could say in response to Mom's comment.  "I'd never thought of that before."  She didn't say a whole lot more, but I could just hear her smiling wide, pleased that I'd finally figured out her gift of wonder to me.

This wonder is the other side of My First Wonder of the World, but it is important enough, and life changing enough to have its own number.  Whatever our age, we were still the son or daughter of someone, and they love(d) us with a great love.

No comments:

Post a Comment