Thursday, October 25, 2012

When Less Really is More

Downsizing, simplifying, making do with less -- all terms of the current economy and challenge to many of us. As I've searched for ways to spend less and yet still maintain a satisfying lifestyle, I have discovered a few things about money and about myself.

I'll never forget the first time I purchased make-up. I was a 7th grader and had been thinking about the application of colorful beauty enhancing products for some time. I was in a drug store with my mom and a 2 for $1.00 make-up stand was more temptation than I could fight.

Two items were purchased that day. The first was an eye shadow with two color compartments. On one side there was a ghastly green and the other a non-committal white.  The second product didn't leave such a powerful impression, however I think it was a blusher.

 Mom registered her concern about what Dad would say about me wearing make-up -- I ignored it.  In retrospect, I think she should have been more concerned about the eye shadow shade I'd chosen.

For all of my teen years and college years I purchased my cosmetics at a drug store. But once I had a job and could afford more, I went right out and paid more.  It was nothing to go to the nice department store and drop $100.00 on "essential" cleansing and make-up products.  It can be painfully expensive to look nice!

In the larger scope of things, I have decided that high priced make-up was no longer a necessity for me. Is it better? Is it a higher quality? Maybe, but why did I need to use it? The best reason I can come up with is because I could.  That's a heck of a reason.

"So why do we upsize in the first place?"
So I started wondering why we upsize in the first place.  We choose our expenditures so that they increase to fit our budget.  I'm no expert, but that can't be good financial planning. Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but we seem to think that we are entitled to spend more on our clothing, our furnishings, our cars, our houses, and our make-up as we get older and perhaps earn more.

I'm not buying my cosmetics in the big department store anymore -- I'm going to Target and Walgreen's. For a fraction of the price, I'm getting the same thing.  I don't think my appearance is any different, but I certainly feel better about spending less. 

Now I'm on the hunt for similar expenditures.  What else do I spend more on than is necessary? What can I buy used? What can I do without? Where and with what can I be more creative? What has been sold to me as a bill of goods that is completely unnecessary.

It's kind of like going thru the fast food drive thru and ordering a combo meal -- cheeseburger, fries and a Dr. Pepper.  Then they have to ask you if you'd like to super-size that!  What a bargain! I have to admit that I've said "yes!" a time or two -- and I've always regretted it.  If I eat those super-sized fries, there's no way I can eat my cheeseburger!  It's more than any one person should eat. We don't need it.

I am determined to stop upsizing and supersizing. I'm enjoying the challenge of doing just the opposite and making my money do more for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment