Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wrapped in Love Again and Again and Again

It has seen us through 9 homes, more pets than I can confidently count, hundreds of hours of snuggling, movie watching, sick days and afternoon naps.  The quilt made by Grandma Dot lasted 16 years longer than the marriage it was gifted for! It was a mainstay, a constant source of comfort for the growing up years of my two children, now 17 and 19.  Of all the afghans, quilts and blankets in the house, this was the one most sought after, for it brought with it the greatest comfort of both body and soul.

Grandma Dot came into my life while attending graduate school.  As part of a summer internship, I was given the opportunity to live with her for the season. She was recently widowed and for a variety of reasons, we both needed some looking after.  She made my meals and even did my laundry. I drove her to and from a handful of places and stood with her when she went to the cemetery. Dot, in her late 80's had the heart of one who is ageless, even besting me in a pillow fight.

This quilt she made of left over fabrics from around her home.  She didn't go out and purchase a new pallet of fabric as we often do today.  Making do with what she had, she created a treasure for me and mine.  Though my children never had the joy of meeting this precious woman, they always knew her by name and her ongoing gift.

It was a sad day when I realized the quilt now in tatters, way far beyond repair. Bits of stuffing hung out in an unflattering sort of way. Tears where there should be solid fabric gave way and just made an ugly mess.  One could no long wrap in the quilt, but only get tangled in its uneven shreds.

On a day when neither of my offspring could protest, I took scissors in hand and began to cut away the useless and salvage a piece here and there.   There was enough to place in a frame of remembrance and honor.  That will go on the wall, with a photograph of the one who was "Grandma Dot" to all who knew her. The rest of the pieces will go into several other quilts and Christmas tree ornaments -- keepsakes.  From one keepsake comes many more. She would be thrilled to know that her gift of love and handiwork is being recreated and will go one to be treasure for generations more.

Love is like that.  Once a gift is given, it's hard to stop it.  Once love is given, it can't be stopped.  That love might take some odd twists and turns and a circuitous route to land at home -- but it always keeps giving and loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment