Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Grandma Loy introduced me to a lifestyle that took me years to understand, even longer to embrace and finally appreciate. She had a life full of challenges I can barely fathom.  At a young age she lost her mother. She was later replaced by the exact stepmother and sisters that inspired the Cinderella story.  She worked hard and photos of her rarely sport a smile. Grandma was a mother to eight, but one died in childhood. When she still had three young children at home, my Grandpa died.  I'm right in the middle of more grandchildren and step-grandchildren and half-grandchildren than I can name.  My Grandma could name them all and inform you of their likes and dislikes.  She embraced and loved her family unconditionally.

Except for the men in the family, she would make all the gifts for each family member.  It took her the entire year. The kids would receive stuffed animals she'd sewn or one year, in the 1970's (of course) she made the teens macrame owls -- mine was yellow, because she knew that was my favorite color. Her daughters and daughters-in-law might receive nighties made of soft flannel or gingham aprons. 

Family groups would often receive food goodies that she had canned herself in her little kitchen.  Jam is the item I remember most and that is most dear to me.  I don't think I've ever sampled an unpleasant jam, but I did have a favorite.  Grandma never forgot it either.  Sometimes instead of a jar, she would send home a plastic margarine container of jam to be given to me --peach and pineapple. That jam was like ambrosia to me. If I really concentrate, I can still taste it -- and its been 27 years since I last tasted a piece of toast with Grandma's jam.  That is a long time to savor a flavor.

I've been making jams of all sorts this summer. It is so hard for me to make peach and pineapple because it just isn't good enough when I make it. Martha Stewart couldn't make it like Grandma did.  Yesterday the bread and butter pickles were completed. Today I'm wrapping up  too many jars of dill pickles--dilled green and wax beans are next on my list. It's a lot of work. My feet get tired, I get over-heated and I think I'll never get it all done. 

Finally, when I serve something to my family that I've made, and I see their enjoyment --- that's all I need to do it all over again. I love to put a package together for someone and give the gift of my time and energy.

Grandma's gifts weren't just the sewing and the crafting, the canning and  the baking. Grandma's gifts were the love that she included as she worked and created.  I learned that from her. I know it sounds a little bit corny, but "love"was a main ingredient in all that she did. I'm still learning that from her.

1 comment: