Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hamburger Onion Pie -- a hand me down dish

My Grandma, my mom and me about 1980-82
"Comfort food" is the dish you delight in eating curled up in your pajamas, you go crazy and don't use a napkin and some how feel the comfort of home and the warmth of childhood.

For me, hamburger onion pie is one of the dishes that transports me to a place of less stress and general satisfaction. And -- it warms up the next day, or as a late night snack, tasting even better than it did at dinner.

This is a recipe that my mom included in my  first collection of recipes that I received as a girl in an adorable mouse recipe box (that I still own and plan to pass on to a grand daughter some day). The recipe came from my maternal grandmother and probably dates back to the depression era.  It uses Bisquick mix to make the crust and it first came on grocer's shelves in 1931.  It is a wonderful way to make a pound of hamburger stretch to feed a larger family.  I liken this to a pre-Hamburger Helper meal.

Here's my version of this delicious recipe:

First, put on your favorite apron and string of pearls. Next,

Craft a bottom crust from Bisquick following box instructions.  I like to add a teaspoon or so of paprika or other mild savory herb or spice just for color and a little adventure.  Roll it out and place in your pie plate. Crinkle or mold your outside crust to your desired appearance.

Thinly slice 1/2 to 1 whole onion -- depending on your like or your families tolerance for for flavorful onion.  Cook until translucent. Add your point of hamburger, cook completely.  Remove as much grease as you can.  Add 2 Tablespoon of Bisquick for thickening.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into prepared pie crust.

Mix together 1-1/12 Cups of cottage cheese and mix with 2medium or 3 small eggs.  Once combined pour over burger and onion mixture.  No need to mix the two -- they will seep together perfectly.  Sprinkle paprika over the top.

Place in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.  The crust should be browned and the center should be firm.  My husband likes to add ketchup as did my dad, but I don't think it needs it.  Just a little salt and a glass of cold milk does the trick for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment