Monday, September 24, 2012




Ghirardelli H. Price (Delli) and my son Nicholas at the Wiener Dog Races in Frankenmuth, Michigan

When Casper Wilhelm Knecht Von Middlestaat, one of my many German ancestors came over from the motherland, I am sure they had no idea how German pride would be celebrated in decades to come.  It's probably a good thing!

I've wanted to attend this auspicious event for years -- The Wiener Dog Races. Michigan's own little Bavaria -- Frankenmuth hosts Oktoberfest with beer, pretzels, sausages and beer flowing. I didn't do any special training this year, for I didn't know the competition would be so fierce and so mind blowing.

Dachshunds  gathered from all over and in 10 heats, with about 10 dogs in each, they raced across a wooden dance floor in a very large beer tent.  I was the "releaser" and my son graciously agreed to be the "catcher." We decided to take advantage of the time before the races to practise with Delli.  Delli is a lover and not a competitor. He is happy to just be given food and belly rubs -- all day.  It was no surprise that he opted to immediately roll on to his back instead of being released to race.  I hadn't set my expectations high in the race category.  It's probably a good thing.

First there was a parade of dachshunds, where costumed dogs were recognized and the winners awarded a prize.  There were contests for the fattest and then the smallest dogs.  I thought we might be a contender for the fattest -- but we were out dachsunded by over 10 pounds. 

Finally -- we were in the first heat.  Nicholas gave Delli a pep talk.  We were ready.  We did all the right stuff and he took off when he was released.  It looked surprisingly good in the first few seconds of the race.  Something clicked in Delli's happy brain that there were nine friend possibilities around him, so he stopped to get acquainted with a couple of dogs next to him. They were happy to stop and sniff and chat.  I think Delli had a bit of a panic attack in all this socialization, so he did a u-turn and came right back to me.  Thus went Delli's first foray into the competitive world of wiener racing.

I can't tell you I was even disappointed.  I knew the fun would be just in being there. We weren't going to win a trophy.  But what a memory we made.

Next year -- we are going to do some training.  I think we can win.  Well, I think maybe we can win some cheers in the costume contest. 

A dog dress as Abu from "Prince of Thieves"
A long haired beauty dress as a bar maid.
Four German beauty queens with Delli.



This was my favorite costume -- a hand crocheted mermaid. It was
not the first place winner, but it was adorable.

The final word from Delli -- "You dragged me to this for what?"
Or -- "Where's my beer?" 
Or -- "I want the leiderhosen too, or I'm not wearing this."

No comments:

Post a Comment